For that reason, the whack-a-mole genre of video game is due a makeover. Nobody wants to hit small blind mammals with a mallet these days, so iPhone game developer Koolfing has substituted moles with something more palatable.
Whack'N Roll, Koolfing's twist on the whack-a-mole formula, sees you bopping birds of different colours on the head in a range of different ways.
Classic Push to Whack mode entails whacking birds until you can't whack any more. Classic Whack mode tells you how dexterous you are, Kawashima-style. Adventure mode lets you play through 45 levels across three different worlds. Finally, Competition mode lets you compete with other whackers.
On the subject of competitions, Whack'N Roll promoter Games-Fed has arranged a competition to win an 32GB wi-fi iPad and a $15 iTunes voucher. The first runner up gets a solar charger and a $25 iTunes voucher, the second gets a backup battery and a $15 voucher, and the third to the sixth each get a $15 voucher.
To enter, you need to prove your whacking abilities by downloading the game. Here's how the competition works:
- First, you have to subscribe to the Whack'N Roll competition using the IG subscription interface. To this end, you have to be logged into OpenFeint and then to use a dedicated subscription menu item. You'll be asked to provide your e-mail address and to confirm that you're 18 or over. The e-mail address you register with must be the same as the address you used to register with Pocket Gamer.
- Once registered, you get access to the competition menu item. You can play the Competition game mode as many times as you like. The system keeps your best score and stores it in an OpenFeint specific leaderboard. You can check the Whack'N Roll OpenFeint competition leader board at any time.
Whack'N Roll is available on the App Store now for 59p. Click on the link below to download it.
Terms & Conditions
"1. KollFing, an EIRL company registered under number 49974878800019, having its office at 3, rue de la Barge, 42410 Pelussin, France, organises the Whack'N Roll Competition (named the Competition hereafter) from
3rd September 2010 to 17th September 2010, as detailed below.
2. Entry to the Competition implies acceptance of the following Terms and Conditions by each entrant:
The Competition is open to any person to the exception of employees of KoolFing and the families of such employees, and, in general, employees of companies involved in the administration of the game. The Competition will take place from 3rd September 2010 to 17th September 2010 05:00 p.m. GMT. Entrants who do not participate within the above mentioned dates will be excluded for legal purposes. Admission of such entrants will not be accepted after the pre-set deadlines. Entrants must comply with all the rules set out to this Competition so as to qualify and be in a position to win the offered prizes. Entrants must be aged 18 years or over. Participation of the employees of any companies or groups associated with
the administration of the game, i.e. KoolF ng, Codemasters, Games-fed, pocketgamer.co.uk and their families is not authorized. Entrants shall not receive any direct help whatsoever from any company involved in the administration of the Competition for developing the mission as required for their participation. All national and local laws apply.
3. The competition is worldwide. Entrants must avail themselves to the game Whack'N Roll on iPhone/iPod
touch/iPad to participate in the Competition. Entrants don't need to be the buyer of the game they use to participate in
the Competition. To enter, entrants need to first to subscribe to the Whack'N Roll competition using the IG subscription interface. To this end, they have to be logged into OpenFeint and then to use a dedicated subscription menu item. Entrant will be asked to provide his/her e-mail address and to confirm that he is 18 or over. Important : The e-mail address used to register with must be the same as the address used by the entrant to register to www.pocketgamer.co.uk at the following address:
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/registration.asp. Once registered, entrants have to access to the Whack'N Roll competition menu item. Entrants can play the Competition game mode as many times as desired. The gamer keeps the entrant best score and stores it in Whack'N Roll's OpenFeint leaderboard called « Competition ». Entrants can check the Whack'N Roll OpenFeint competition leader board at any time.
4. The global prize contains 4 prizes, as follows:
- 1st : 1x iPad 32GB Wi-Fi + 25 US$ voutchers for iTunes
- 2nd : 1x solar charger for iPhone or iPod Touch + 25 US$ voutchers
- 3rd : 1x backup battery for iPhone or iPod Touch + 15 US$
- 4th - 7th : 15 $US voutchers for iTunes
5. Entrants give prior authorization to the organizers to publish or broadcast their names without any indemnity or compensation whatsoever. Winners will be given notice by email on the nature of their prize and delivery details. The list of the winners of the Competition will be announced on 24th September 2010. The winners of the Competition will be notified by e-mail within 72 hours after this date. Prize shipping and delivery will occur within 28 days after winners are announced. KoolFing will not be held responsible in any circumstance for not being able to contact winners due to false, incomplete or incorrect data.
6. Participation to the Competition implies acceptance by the entrants of the Terms and Conditions thereof without restriction or reservation. KoolFing and all the organizers reserve the right to suspend, extend, amend or terminate the Competition if called for by circumstances. They shall not be held responsible as a result. The entrant agrees, both in general than particular, to ensure KoolFing against any proceeding, claim or action brought on grounds of violations of intellectual property rights of a third part on the mission given to KoolFing.
7. Any difficulty arising from the performance or the interpretation of the Terms and Conditions of the Competition, or that would not be provided for by these Terms and Conditions, shall be decided by the organisers, and the organizers’ decision will be final. No claim related to the competition shall be taken into account after the 24th October 2010 11:00 a.m. GMT, one month after the winners’ announcement.
8. Any and all prizes offered in this contest are exclusive of any other promotion from the organizers or the sponsors involved in the event.
9. Intel Corporation SAS reserves the right to modify all or part of this Regulation under a notice of five calendar days.
10. If one or more provisions of these regulations were declared invalid or unenforceable, the remaining provisions will remain in full effect. All cases not foreseen by the regulations shall be decided by KoolFing whose decisions are final. The law applies to this Regulation is French law. Any dispute arising in connection with this transaction will be an attempt at settlement. Failing agreement, the dispute shall be submitted to the courts to which the headquarters of KoolFing, unless contrary to public policy. No dispute will not be admissible two months after the close of the competition."