You can't stop playing Flappy Bird
. You don't know why. Your friends make fun of you for spending hours on end trying to improve your score of 3 whole points.
The Game Over sound effect haunts your nightmares. All your partner hears when you go to the bathroom is a quiet sobbing.
There's only one thing for it. A competition (of course!). A Gamer X-based competition. A Gamer X-based leaderboard-based competition, in fact.
There are no prizes at stake here, by the way. Just pure, pure Internet FameTM
. And lots of it.
So, put down that cup of tea, get your thumb where it needs to be, and read the following few paragraphs.How to enter
So, what do you have to do to take part? Well, that's the easy part.
- Add 'Pocket Gamer X' as a Friend on Game Center.
- Fire up Flappy Bird on iOS, and post your very best score.
- Post your score in the comments section at the bottom of this article along with your Game Center ID.
We'll then take a look at the highest scores posted on Pocket Gamer
, double-check to ensure the posted times are genuine, and announce the winners at 4pm (GMT) on February 21st.
Unfortunately, we're not taking entries from Android users for this competition. That's because it's too easy. Ahem.
Do your best for glory. Glory!
Updated on February 10th, at 12:01:
Unfortunately, with the demise of Flappy Bird
on the App Store, we must draw this competition to a close abruptly.
The developer of Flappy Bird
, Dong Nguyen, removed the game after received unwanted media attention and piles of abuse from frustrated players on Twitter.
The ever-mysterious Gamer X stated his / her high score of 109 "was only the beginning" and assured us he / she "had nothing to do with Flappy Bird
's removal from the App Store".
The top three qualifying
entrants for the competition were as follows...
Congratulations to The_Macster
on his impressive feat of flapping between 175 pipes! May the now-frozen Game Center Flappy Bird
leaderboard forever be your friend.
In a press release this morning, Gamer X stated that "The_Macster
's score checks out. There are rumours of Flappy Bird 2
being in the works. Vengeance will be mine."
With that, Gamer X bestowed Internet FameTM
in the form of interpretive dance. It was quite a sight.
Congratulations again to our top three entrants. And thanks to everyone else for taking part in the competition.
Gamer X will return again. Soon.
- The competition closes on February 21st, 2014, at 4pm GMT, and no entries will be accepted after this date.
- The winner will be notified by email shortly after the closing date of the competition.
- Pocket Gamer parent company Steel Media's decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the winners of the competition.